In pursuance to the headline of 100 days plan of HRD of ministry by Hon’ble Human Assets development Minister, a Fresh Policy on Distance Learning In Higher Education Sector was drafted. Benny Cenac Jr
one particular ) In conditions of Entry 66 of List one of the 7th Schedule to the Metabolic rate of India, Parliament is competent to make regulations for the coordination and determination of standards in institutions for advanced schooling for research, and scientific and technical institutions. Parliament has enacted laws for preventing powering this responsibility through: the University Grants Commission (UGC) for general Advanced schooling, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for Technical Education; and other Statutory bodies for other disciplines. As regards degree, through the distance method, Indira Gandhi National Start University (IGNOU) Act, 85 was enacted with the following two prime aims, among others: (a) To provide opportunities for degree to a sizable segment of population, especially disadvantaged teams surviving in remote and country areas, adults, housewives and working people; and (b) to encourage Open School and Distance Education Devices in the educational style of the also to organize and determine the criteria in such systems.
2. The history of distance education or education through distance mode in India, goes way back when the universities started offering education through distance method in the name of Correspondence Courses through their Directorate/School of Correspondence Education. In those times, the courses in humanities and/or in trade were offered through messages and taken by those, who, due to various reasons, including limited number of seats in regular training, employability, problems of gain access to the institutions better learning etc., could not try enrolled in the conventional `face-to-face’ mode `in-class’ programmes.
3. Recently, the demand for higher education has grown enormously through the country because of awareness about the value of higher education, whereas the device of higher education could not accommodate this ever before increasing demand.
4. Below the circumstances, an amount of institutions including considered universities, private universities, general population (Government) universities and even other institutions, which are not empowered to prize degrees, have started cashing on the specific situation by offering distance education programmes in a sizable number of exercises, ranging from humanities to engineering and management and many others., including different levels (certificate to under-graduate and post-graduate degrees). There is always a danger that many of these institutions may become `degree mills’ offering sub- standard/poor quality education, consequently eroding the credibility of levels and other qualifications granted through the distance function. This demands a significantly higher level of coordination among the concerned statutory government bodies, primarily, UGC, AICTE and IGNOU and its specialist – the Distance Education Council (DEC).
5. Federal government of India had responded where it stands in respect of recognition of degrees, earned through the distance mode, for work under it vide Journal Notification Number 44 went out with 1. 3. 1995.
six. Despite the risks known to in para 4 above, the significance of distance education in providing quality education and training can not be ignored. Distance Method of education has an important role for:
(i)providing opportunity of finding out how to those, who do not have immediate access to face to face teaching, working persons, house-wives etc.
(ii)providing possibility to working professionals to update their knowledge, allowing them to switchover to new disciplines and careers and boosting their requirements for career advancement.
(iii)exploiting the potential of Details and Communication Technology (ICT) in the teaching and learning process; and
(iv)achieving the target of 15% of GER by the end of 11th Strategy and 20% at the conclusion of 12th five year Program.
7. In order to discharge the Constitutional responsibility of determination and maintenance of the criteria in Higher Education, by making sure coordination among various lawful regulatory authorities as also to guarantee the promotion of available and distance education system in the area to meet the aspirations of cross-sections of men and women for degree, the pursuing policy in respect of distance education is set down:
(a) In order to ensure proper skill in regulation of criteria better education in several professions through various modes [i. e. face to face and distance] as also to ensure credibility of degrees/diploma and certificates awarded by Native american Universities and other Education Institutes, an apex body, namely, National Commission for Higher Education and Study shall be established in line with the tips of Prof. Yash Acquaintance Committee/National Knowledge Commission. A Standing Committee on Start and Distance.